This Lion trademark number 78117 was granted to Herbert & Sons in 1888, a year before the rebuilt premises at 6 & 7 West Smithfield were opened. This was practically the height of the British Empire, and the quintessentially ‘British’ lion with it’s paw on a Union Jack shield bearing the words ‘Justice and Strength’ typified the mood of the time.
The trademark has been modified over the years, the main designs being:
- The art deco 'Wembley' Lion of the 1920s, showing many of the features of the lion on the stamps which commemorated the British Empire Exhibitions of 1924 and 1925.
- The 1968 Lion.
- The Lion trademark in use today.
Documents relating to Lion Trademark
Click on the Image(s) For Detail