London, Angel Road Works, Edmonton, N18

By 1936 the Company had outgrown it's manufacturing sites in West Smithfield, Goswell Road and Mulberry Place.  Not only were the 3 locations unsuited to the production methods of the time, but their separation entailed numerous time-wasting journeys between them.
 
In November 1936 Arthur and Fitz Herbert visited 10 potential sites around the Edmonton, Tottenham, Enfield and Brimsdown area looking for somewhere suitable for a new factory.
 
The favoured site was just off Angel Road, Edmonton, on land to the rear of Rego Clothiers Ltd, described in the sale particulars as ‘within two min's of Angel Road Station (L.N.E.), and priced at ‘from 10/- per Sq. Ft. Freehold'.
 
In June 1937 the Company completed the purchase of this area of about one acre from Rego Clothiers Ltd , who for the sum of £11,250 agreed to build a 20,000 sq ft factory for us.  The site plan shows that our neighbours were Rapido, Beautility Furniture, Nathans and Tesco Tea Stores.
 
The Company took possession in January 1938, and this was our sole manufacturing plant for 30 years until we moved to Haverhill in 1968, when the factory was sold to Cope & Timmins Ltd who coincidentally were also founded in 1760.
 

 
London, Angel Road Works, Edmonton, N18

Click on the Image(s) For Detail