London, 38 Charterhouse Street, Smithfield
Herbert & Sons moved into 38 Charterhouse Street in the spring of 1937, fitting the ground floor out as a showroom, with offices on the upper floors.
It was closed in 1959, and the activities moved within the factory at Angel Road, Edmonton.
Until recently the ground floor was the Charterhouse bar, but this closed in December 2016.
The Survey of London, Volume 46, South and East Clerkenwell, originally published by London County Council in 2008, tells us that the site was part of the land acquired by the Corporation of London in the 1860s for the Smithfield Market development. Set out for building in 1871–2, it remained empty until 1875–6. At the apex a warehouse (No. 38), was then built for Myer and Nathan Salaman, ostrich-feather merchants, to designs by Benjamin Tabberer. It is four storeys high, of red brick with regular fenestration; all the ornamentation is concentrated on the narrow corner.
Click on the Image(s) For Detail