London, Berry Place, EC1 (Mulberry Place)
Berry Place was just across the street from our factory at 204/206 Goswell Road, which we moved into in 1916. It housed the scale shop, as well as the grinding and polishing shops, the blacksmiths shop and the works department.
Originally called Mulberry Place, it was renamed Berry Place between 1st January 1936 and 1st July 1939.
It was also the stables where the Company kept our horses and carts and after the new factory was opened at Angel Road, Edmonton, in 1938, Berry Place was retained for this purpose. During WWII, the Company acquired three horses and two milk carts from the United Dairies Limited, in order to keep local deliveries going during petrol rationing.
Our occupation of Berry Place ended around 1960.
The photograph on the right shows the scale shop in about 1938.
On the benches are fan scales (centre left and right) and cylinder scales (centre and back).
The only identifiable person in the photograph is Fred Smallbone, third person from the left.
Notice the Lion Electric Motor being used as a fan, top left.
The photograph on the right shows a different view of the same scene, with the line of 6 cylinder scales in the foreground and the fan scales in the background.
The last photograph shows an employee, only named as Partridge, working in the blacksmiths shop on the ground floor. The foot operated open die forging hammer is made by B & S Massey Ltd, Manchester, and was the 1 cwt 'With Slides' model made to this design from the very late 1800s to approximately 1920.
Click on the Image(s) For Detail