This brass casting of our Lion Trademark is one of around 30 made in 1981 by Taylors Foundry in Haverhill for members of the ‘Lion 25 Society‘, those who had completed 25 years with the Company.
The Society was originally formed on September 30th 1950 when 32 employees of the Company were presented with pewter tankards by Fitz Herbert, then Chairman of the Company, at the Rutland Hotel, West Smithfield.
It was re-established in December 1981, and at a small reception in the Company's Board Room, Jim Herbert presented 7 members who had completed 25 years with one of these specially cast bronze Lions. Another 7 members who could not be present had their Lions despatched to them.
The members were: 1931 T.W. Jelley, 1933 C.A. Skevington, 1934 E.H. Crichton, 1937 E.C. Sorrell, 1938 L.H. Skates, 1941 J.W. D'Amant, 1946 E.C. Brown, A.J. Herbert and C. Redpath, 1948 M.V. Darby, 1951 R. Gillott, 1953 E.C. Dryden, 1954 R.C. Green, 1956 E.H. Fox.
A few of these lions were also presented to those with long standing connections with the company, one of these being the Deputy Director of the National Weights & Measures Laboratory. Unfortunately it was taken a year later in a burglary, where only three items were stolen- a TV set, a video recorder and the bronze Lion.
This particular Lion is engraved 'Mr. A. Herbert 1981' and was found on a secondhand stall in Huyton, Liverpool, but we have no idea how it roamed there!
Click on the Image(s) For Detail