Market Token

This token was manufactured between 1887 and 1919 by Hubbard & Walker for M M Proctor, a well-known Covent Garden fruit wholesaler.  Hubbard & Walker's premises in Drury Lane were very close to the Market.
 
These tokens were given to purchasers of produce in the market as proof that they had received a container or box from the wholesaler, a deposit of one shilling being charged.  To receive repayment, both the container and the token had to be presented to the trader.
 
The token is brass, diameter 1¼ in (31mm).
 

 
Market Token

Click on the Image(s) For Detail