Meat Tray, Bartlett & Son
A Bartlett & Son porcelain meat tray by Wedgwood, c1900, 9½” x 12".
John Bartlett was apprenticed to John Wynn in the Blacksmiths' Company in 1811, and was turned over to Robert Wood in 1814 shortly before his (John Wynn's) death in 1815.
Some time after his apprenticeship ended in 1818, John Bartlett moved from West Smithfield to Bristol to set up on his own account at 3 Welch Back, appearing in Matthew's 1831 Directory, and in Hunt & Co's 1849 Directory, by which time he was also at 4 Baldwin Street.
By 1852 the firm was called J Bartlett & Son, and in 1880 it was listed at 2 & 3 Welsh Back, and Temple Back, as well as at 7 Cotham New Road. In 1910 the firm was taken over by Henry Pooley & Son of Birmingham, who were in turn taken over by W &T Avery in 1914.
The advertisement on the right is taken from a trade directory of 1852.
Click on the Image(s) For Detail