Frank David Harsant
Frank Harsant was born in Holborn in 1894. He joined Herbert & Sons in 1919 and throughout his service with the Company worked as storeman, packer and shop assistant in the butchers sundries department at 6/7 West Smithfield and at 38 Charterhouse Street.
Frank is pictured in the ‘Herberts Two Hundred’ feature in the Meat Marketing Journal dated February 1960 with the following caption “ Long service is the rule rather than the exception at Herberts…… In the picture right, the general factotum at West Smithfield, Mr F.D.Harsant, 41 years service (left) is seen with the Sundries manager, Mr. P.A. Davis.”
Frank had completed nearly 43 years service with the Company when in 1962 the sundries department was sold to Messrs. Glenhurst, and at his farewell do he was presented with a gold wrist watch by Jim Herbert.
Frank continued working for Glenhurst until 1st January 1970 when he joined the Herbert band of pensioners.
Frank, a quiet and shy man who had many friends in and around Smithfield, died on 14th February 1972 after a long illness.