Fred Wade started with the Company during WWII, when the company acquired three horses, and two milk carts from the United Dairies Limited, in order to keep local deliveries going during petrol rationing. These were kept at Berry Place off Goswell Road.
Fred was groom, stableman and driver, and when the horses were retired after WWII, he continued with the Company as a messenger and ‘office boy’.
Shown right is a United Dairies horse-drawn delivery cart similar to ours from the Archive Photograph Galleries of the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham.
Fred retired in 1954, and died in 1966.