William D Gray
Bill Gray joined the Company in April 1924, shortly after his return from WW1 in which he saw service with the Hampshire Regiment in India. He was for many years in charge on the office side of the maintenance contract section.
He retired on 1st January 1964 after 29 years service, when ‘Mr Herbert thanked him for his service to the company, and gave him a gold watch and a cheque, while Miss Stevens, on behalf of his colleagues, wished him well and presented him with a Goblin Teasmade.’
The Lion News reported that he had joined us when ‘our outside maintenance staff numbered six, and in the following years he saw that section of the company grow to its present strength of 29 mechanics. In 1953, shortly after the move of Sales and Service from 206 Goswell Road to Smithfield Offices, Mr. Gray was transferred to Head Office then at Charterhouse Street, and he remained in that department when it moved to Edmonton in 1959.’
Bill died on 6th October 1974 at his home in Mill Hill, where he lived with his daughter Margaret.