Charles Edwin Dickinson (1905 - 1982)
Charlie Dickinson was born in Edmonton on 11th July 1905, and joined the Company as a metal grinder and polisher in 1940. During the Blitz of 1940/41 Charlie was one of the fire watchers at our factory in Angel Road.
Alongside Tom Jelley, Charlie was one of the stalwarts in the old grinding shop at a time when the Company was one of the premier manufacturers of butchers stainless steel rails & fittings in the country. He remained with us apart from a short break between 1948 and 1954 until his retirement, and his wife Vi also worked for us as a cleaner between 1959 and 1966.
Shortly after moving with the Company to Haverhill in 1968, Charlie moved onto a part time basis in July 1969 after 29 years service. He finally retired on 6th September 1974, when the Lion News reported that ‘at his own request no formal presentation was made, the Company sent him a cheque as a token of their thanks for his many years of service. On behalf of his friends in the Company he was presented with a clock.’
Charlie and Vi moved to Harlow in 1980, and he died on 20th May 1982 aged 77 years.