These palette knives were made by the Woods, and were discovered in the drawer of a desk when moving out of the premises in Grays Inn Road shortly after WW11. They must have been made before 1867.
Both these were donated by Dr. W.J. Herbert, son of Thomas James Herbert.
A palette knife has a very flexible steel blade and no sharpened cutting edge. It is primarily used for mixing paint colours, paste, pigments, and so forth directly on the palette before applying them to a surface.
Click on the Image(s) For Detail