Herbert & Sons ivory handled steel with silver ferrule, hallmarked Birmingham 1902 with a makers mark of ‘EJ'.
This was one of the steels from our ‘butchers sundries' range supplied from the shop at 6&7 West Smithfield. Originally these steels were manufactured in the basement and were stamped ‘London Made', but by the early 1900s these were mainly coming from Sheffield.
A page from a catalogue of 1910 is shown on the right, which describes (item 315) the range of ivory handles available, being Plain, Fancy and Bullshead.
The Bullshead handle shown here is not from our collection,, but was sold in 2012 by Finch & Co in London.
Click on the Image(s) For Detail