E. Patston & Son
Herbert & Sons bought the scale maintenance contracts of E. Patston & Son of Artillery Lane in the City of London in September 1960 but their main business continued and we for many years subcontracted the repair and restamping of weights to them.
The firm had been founded by S. Patston, who was born in Spitalfields in 1790, and at the time of our purchase was owned by Len Patston his great grandson.
Len himself joined the business in 1925 working with his father and took over the business on his own in 1945.
Len subsequently joined our London Depot on a part time basis after our move from Edmonton to Walthamstow in 1978, and during his time with us restored quite a few old scales, one of them being a Patston machine of about 1880 now in our collection.
Len finally retired when our London depot was closed in 1988 after all our service operations were centralised at Haverhill.