London, Cannon Street, St. George in the East
Thomas Herbert's first premises when he started business on his own account were a shed in his father-in-law Benjamin Brinkhurst's back garden in Cannon Street, St George in the East. Benjamin, who was a Tide Waiter in St Catherine's docks working alongside Thomas Herbert's father, had in 1807 been living in nearby Betts Street.
Thomas Herbert's business prospered, and he soon rented a house and shop at 39 Cannon Street, opposite the wonderful St George in the East church designed by Hawksmoor and opened in 1729.
Around 1850 Thomas moved 100 yards down the road to 47 St George Street, which had just had its name changed from Radcliffe Highway. Today the road is called The Highway.
All 3 addresses are shown on this extract from Horwood's Map of London, Westminster & Southwark from 1792-9, although all were destroyed in WWII.
Click on the Image(s) For Detail