Justitia Trademark

Thomas Herbert's sons split the business in 1876, and for 12 years both sides traded under the same name and used the usual scalemakers sign of 'Justitia', the familiar blindfold female figure holding a sword in one hand and a pair of scales in the other.
 
In 1888 George Herbert registered the Lion Trademark for his part of the business, whilst William Alfred retained Justitia, although it was never registered.
 
The figure on the right was mounted on the fascia of 319/321 Grays Inn Road, Kings Cross, here seen about 1890.  She was donated to the Museum of London in 1947 when the two sides of the business recombined, and is now stored in Mortimer Wheeler House in Hackney.
 
The trademark was photographed in a chapter headed 'Signs ancient and modern which still do service over London's shops' from a book entitled "Wonderful London", edited by St. John Adcock, and published by The Educational Book Co. Ltd, London in 1926.
 

 
Justitia Trademark

Click on the Image(s) For Detail